June 10, 2010

Why Can't We Be Friends

Dear acquaintance, associate, random person from the web, or person from high school I haven’t seen in 20 years, if you have been directed here, it is because I wanted to give you a reasonable answer as to why I had to deny your friend request on Facebook. For the last month, I have been waffling back and forth on what I want and expect from Facebook. I am trying to create a space that works for me. A place where I can stay in touch with close friends, and by close friends, I am referring back to the traditional definition of friendship:
Friendship is considered to be closer than association, although there is a range of degrees of intimacy in both friendships and associations. Friendship and association can be thought of as spanning across the same continuum…
While this may be true, that there is a continuum of associations and friendships, I am trying to keep my Facebook page a place for people with whom I have shared real life experiences. People I have hung out with, traveled with, shared deep thoughts with etc…

Sorry if this sounds pompous or insensitive in anyway, but I do not want to give in and allow my Facebook page to quickly become a list of people I have only met a few times, or worked with for a few years, and barely know.

I am honored that you think enough of me, to actually invite me to inundate your thread with my gibberish, so I would love to stay in touch and network and share ideas with you. Just not on Facebook. Not at this time. I tried being friends with everyone, and it didn’t work. There are many other places you can find me. Leave comments on my blogs, pictures, and videos. Follwo me on Twitter, where I never shut up, and please share your work through the same channels. My personal homepage is a great place to start. Facebook, however, at least for now will remain my small personal space to share my life with a few good friends. I hope you understand.

After a message like this one, why would you want to be friends with such an idiot anyways? Yes, I take myself too seriously and think I am much cooler than I really am.

No comments:

Post a Comment